- Community Resources
- Permits, Reports, & Forms
- Hunting Land Permits
Hunting Land Permits
The New Braunfels Police Department is responsible for issuing permits to those who wish to use land within the city limits for hunting. Permit applications MUST comply with the city's ordinance on Hunting Land Permits, and a copy of that ordinance can be found below.
A $25 permit fee is required by ordinance in order to obtain a City of New Braunfels Hunting Land Permit. The permit application form can be found by clicking the following link: HUNTING LAND PERMIT APPLICATION
Hunting Land Permit Checklist:
- Download the form
- Use the fillable boxes to complete the form on your computer
- Print the completed form & sign the form
- Attach all of the necessary paperwork (as directed on the form)
- Bring the completed form, paperwork, and $25 permit fee to NBPD Headquarters (3030 West San Antonio St.) during normal business hours
The form is a Fillable PDF so you can type in your information. However, if you are using Google Chrome or Safari as your internet browser you MUST DOWNLOAD the form and SAVE IT on your computer in order to fill it out. For questions about the Hunting Land Permit process, please call the New Braunfels Police Department at (830) 221-4100.
Sec. 82-3. - Firearms, discharging, hunting permits.
(a) Definition. "Firearms" means gun, pistol, revolver, pellet gun, bb gun, air gun, shotgun, rifle, bow and arrow, cross bow or any other weapon.
(b) It shall be unlawful for any person to discharge any firearm, with the exception of a bow and arrow, within an area of the city limits annexed prior to September 1, 1981; provided, that this section shall not be so construed as to prohibit the discharge of firearms on premises owned or operated by any branch of the armed services of the United States government, Texas National Guard, Texas State Guard or any responsible organization existing for the purpose of operating and maintaining a rifle or pistol firing range, provided such discharge is in the course of the regular functions and course of training of such branch of the armed services of the United States government, Texas National Guard, Texas State Guard or such other organization, and provided that such branch of the armed services or other organization has secured and holds a permit from the city council so to do on the premises involved. This section shall not apply to law enforcement officers in pursuance of their duties and while acting within the scope of their authority. Further, this section shall not be so construed as to prohibit the discharge of firearms, air guns, or similar equipment, as described above, in connection with a public or private school instruction program, or an organized training or instruction facility within the city limits. Further, this section shall not apply to any person acting in lawful defense of person or property.
(c) It shall be unlawful for any person to discharge a firearm within the extraterritorial jurisdiction or in an area annexed after September 1, 1981 unless:
(1) The firearm is a shotgun, air rifle or pistol, BB gun, or bow and arrow; and
a. Discharged on a tract of land of ten acres or more;
b. Discharged more than 150 feet from a residence or occupied building located on another property; and
c. In a manner not reasonably expected to cause a projectile to cross the boundary of the tract; or
(2) The firearm is a center fire or rim fire rifle or pistol of any caliber:
a. Discharged on a tract of land of 50 acres or more;
b. More than 300 feet from a residence or occupied building located on another property; and
c. In a manner not reasonably expected to cause a projectile to cross the boundary of the tract.
(d) Hunting land permit.
(1) "Hunt" means the sport or practice of pursuing, killing or capturing wild animals with a firearm or other weapon.
(2) A hunting land permit is required for hunting within the city limits.
(3) A property owner or lessee wishing to obtain a permit required by this section must file with the city police department an application containing the following information:
a. The name, address and phone number of the applicant;
b. A description of the property, including property line dimensions and total acreage of the property where the weapon will be discharged;
c. The names and addresses of all owners of the property; and
d. The names and addresses of all property owners within 200 yards of the property described in subsection (2).
(e) The lessee must submit a letter from the property owner stating that they approve of the lessee using the property to discharge a firearm.
1. A permit is valid for the calendar year running from September 1 through August 31.
2. The permit application fee shall be $25.00.
3. The permit shall be issued if the requirements of this section are met.
(f) Penalty: Any person who violates the provisions of this section shall be deemed guilty of a class C misdemeanor, and upon conviction thereof, shall be fined in any sum not to exceed $500.00.