Short Term Rentals

Short term rentals are one- or two-family dwellings that are rented for overnight lodging for less than 30 days at a time. Hotels, motels, bed and breakfasts, resort properties, apartment unit rentals, or dwellings that are rented for a period longer than 30 days are not considered short-term rentals. Permits and annual life safety inspections are required for all short-term rental units within the city limits. Any one- or two family dwelling advertised as a short-term rental on home sharing websites such as AirBnB, VRBO, HomeAway, etc. must be permitted before the advertisement is posted.

Housing Real Estate Opens in new windowShort Term Rental Permit Application

To register your property for a Short Term Rental in New Braunfels, please submit a Short Term Rental Registry application through our online permit portal

46ea7b4e-3c0a-4b70-9e5c-b0adb3a16a5a (1)Where can I operate a short-term rental?

Eligibility to operate a short term rental depends on the zoning and land use classification of a property. To view where short term rentals are authorized, not authorized, or authorized with special permitting, please visit the city's Short Term Rental Web Map.

To request a determination of short-term rental eligibility for your property please submit a short-term rental determination form through our online permit portal.

  1. Short Term Rental Regulations
  2. Registering a Short Term Rental
  3. Current Short Term Rental Permit Holders

Short Term Rental Regulations

The following requirements apply to all short-term rental units within the City Limits:

  • Short-term rentals are not allowed in any residential zoning districts. 
  • A special use permit must be obtained in all non-residential zoning districts, excluding C-4, C-4A, and C-4B.
  • Short-term rentals are not allowed in the floodway (not the floodplain.)
  • Hotel occupancy taxes are required to be paid on a monthly basis.
  • Annual life safety inspections are required from the Fire Marshal’s Office. 
  • Maximum occupancy of two (2) adults per sleeping area, plus an additional four (4) adults.
  • A minimum of one off-street parking space, not including the garage, must be provided per sleeping area.
  • A decal with emergency contact information must be visible at the entry of the short-term rental.

This list is for informational purposes only and is not a comprehensive description of all short-term rental regulations. To review all regulations for short-term rentals, please visit the ordinance here

Additional Resources

  • If you suspect a short-term rental is unregistered, please report it using the Short Term Rental Complaint Form.
  • To check the zoning of your property, you can use the City’s Interactive Zoning Map. Once you have located your property, you can click on it to open a pop-up that will link you to your zoning district’s ordinance.
  • To check if your property is located in the floodway, you can use the City’s Interactive Flood Zone Map.