Hours of Operation
City Recycling Center
488 S. Castell Ave., New Braunfels, TX 78130
Tuesday through Saturday 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Closed for lunch from 12 - 12:30 p.m.
Curbside residential recycling collection is provided to all single-family and some smaller multifamily dwellings. Residents who live in apartments and condominiums can still recycle, but must drop-off their recyclables at the City Recycle Center.
Clean out containers for recycling.
Flatten boxes - cardboard should be cut into pieces no longer than 18 inches.
Do not bag items - leave them loose in your cart.
Secure shredded paper in a paper bag and staple it shut.
Become familiar with the accepted items list. Keep trash, Styrofoam, and plastic bags out.
Keep your cart 5 feet away from any obstacle, including Green Waste.
Place your cart at the curb with the wheels and handle facing your home. Lid must be completely closed.
Place your cart out no earlier than 8 p.m. the day before your collection day.
Place your cart at the curb no later than 6:30 a.m. on your collection day.
Can it go in the Blue Recycle Bin?
Yes, Please Recycle!
Feel free to put the following items into your blue recycle bin:
Plastic Containers #1 - #7, less than 5 gallons in size
Cardboard and Paperboard
Food and beverage cartons (milk, juice, soup, etc.)
Glass bottles and Jars
Aluminum Cans and Bottles
No, Please Do NOT Put in the Recycle Bin
Here are items that you should NOT put in the blue recycle bin:
Cups, plates, utensils
Hangers (wire or plastic)
Wax coated paper products
Coated paper bags
Aluminum foil (including aluminum baking dishes)
Wires & Cords
City Recycling Center
The City Recycle Center is available for all community members to bring material for recycling, including apartment dwellers, businesses, and visitors.
Please remain in your car and let attendants remove recyclables or bring you Green Waste bags, unless otherwise instructed on-site.
- Flatten boxes, rinse containers, and bring items loose in a container, such as an 18-gallon bin or storage tote.
- Please do not bag your items. Bagged recyclables will not be accepted. Please do not use City- provided Green Waste bags for recyclables.
- Secure shredded paper in a small paper bag and staple it shut.
- If you miss your curbside recycling collection, we cannot accept items in your recycling cart. Bring them in an 18-gallon tote or bin.
- Please do not bring your Green Waste to the recycle center. We cannot accept it.
- Trailer loads of recyclables will not be accepted.
- White plastic foam, commonly known as Styrofoam, must be separated from other recyclables.
- Large pieces of cardboard must be cut down to fit in our cardboard bailer. Please cut down your cardboard to 30’ x 60’ or smaller before arriving at the recycle center to avoid slowing down the flow of traffic.
What Can I Bring to the Recycling Center?
Here's what you can (and can NOT bring) to the City Recycle Center.
- Plastic containers #1-7, less than 5-gallon, lids on
- Clean, dry paper: cardboard, newspaper, magazines, junk mail, catalogs, cereal boxes, phone books, etc.
- Glass bottles and jars
- Aluminum cans and bottles
- Steel and tin: food and beverage cans
- Shredded paper in a paper bag, stapled shut
- Dairy and juice cartons
Plastic Foam #6
- Flattened, clean, dry, and cut to 30” X 60” or smaller
- Items that are mostly metal, such as:
- Appliances without Freon
- Lawn mowers without fluids
- Water heaters (emptied)
- BBQ grills (no ashes or coals)
View a printable PDF of this information
Please do not bring the following items to the City Recycle Center:
- Electronic Devices (including wires & cords)
- Aluminum Foil (including foil containers and baking trays)
- Foam (including mattress foam)
- Mirrors, Vases, & Ceramics
- Drinking Glasses
- Tissues, Paper Towels, Napkins, Cups, Plates, & Utensils
- Coated Paper Bags
- Wood and Lumber
- Green Waste (like grass clippings, branches, and brush)
- Plastic Bags or Plastic Wrap
- Plastic Hangers
- Appliances with Freon
- Helium Tanks or Propane Tanks
- Any Item with Fuel or Liquid still inside
- Feed Bags or Pet Food Bags
View a printable PDF of this information
More Recycling Info
Do not place plastic bags, plastic film, or shrink wrap into your blue recycle cart. Plastic bags are not recyclable through the curbside recycling service or at the City Recycle Center. These bags become entangled in the sorting machinery at the materials recovery facility where recyclables are sorted.
If you shred paper, please place the shredded paper into a paper bag . Use a clear or opaque plastic bag only if no paper bag is available and tie it in a knot.
Please take your plastic bags to local retailers, such as HEB, Target, Best Buy, or Walmart, for recycling. These locations have a drop-off recycling bin or barrel near their entrances just for plastic bags.
To reduce waste, consider using reusable bags at the grocery store instead of single-use plastic bags. Reusing plastic bags you do accumulate can also be a great alternative to disposal.
Where Can I Recycle Electronics Locally?
Several local electronics retailers accept various electronics for recycling, or electronics can often be donated to charity organizations. Remember to clear any personal data before donating or recycling electronic devices. If you live in Comal County, call the Comal County Rural Recycling Center for more information on their electronics recycling program: (830) 643-3781.
Electronics Recycling Event
NEXT EVENT: JANUARY 2023, date TBD
8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
550 Landa St - City Hall parking lot (enter from Laurel Lane)
The following items will be accepted: computers, computer accessories, computer monitors, televisions, telephones, copiers/printers, laptops, and cell phones. Household appliances, such as refrigerators and blenders, yard maintenance equipment, smoke detectors, batteries, light bulbs, or items containing Freon will not be accepted.
Important: The last car in line at noon will be the last assisted.
Trailers are not accepted: items must be in truck bed or inside car/trunk.
Texas Recycling Laws & Information
By state law, computer manufacturers (not retailers) must take back computers (desktops and laptops), monitor, keyboard and mouse for recycling, at no charge to the consumer. To learn more about this state law, and find a list of manufacturers and the links to their programs, visit the Texas Recycles Computers website. For more information about electronics recycling in Texas, visit the TCEQ's website.
The City of New Braunfels does not provide recycling services for most battery types - batteries are NOT permitted in your recycle cart. Check local retailers, or use your preferred search engine to find options for battery recycling.
Mercury has been phased out of these batteries so they can be disposed of in the landfill. However, they do contain metals that can be recovered if recycled properly.
These button batteries are often found in watches. These batteries contain mercury and should not be disposed of in the landfill.
Nickel-Cadmium, Nickel Metal Hydride & Lithium Ion
These batteries can be purchased as a substitute for alkaline manganese batteries but also represent the batteries found in your cell phone, cordless power tools, and other cordless electronic devices.
Lead Acid Batteries
REMEMBER - all foam brought for recycling MUST be free of food residue, tape, labels, and any other items that might be attached to the foam. The City Recycle Center does not have the facility space to remove these prior to densification.
Bring foam in a bag or container that can be easily and quickly emptied. Once dropped-off, an onsite machine cuts the foam into small pieces, heats it, and densifies it. Once densified, the densified foam can be used by plastics manufacturers to create new products, such as picture frames and crown molding.
I bought a new light fixture and it was packaged in foam. Is this foam recyclable?
Yes, the foam is accepted, but all the contents must be removed prior to drop-off. Please remove any tape, labels, or stickers that may be attached to the foam, as well. Make sure the packaging has the #6 on it before bringing it.