The purpose of zoning land in the City of New Braunfels is to promote the health, safety, and general welfare of the public. Zoning districts and regulations are established to maintain land use compatibility, provide fire separation, prevent overcrowding of land, ensure adequate light and air, as well as guarantee sufficient transportation, utilities, parks and other public facilities to accommodate growth.

Zone Change

To change the base zoning of a property from one zoning district to another, you will need to submit an application request. It is recommended that you contact the Planning Department in advance to review your request and answer any potential questions you may have or schedule a Predevelopment meeting to answer more in-depth questions across departments.

For more information about the zone change process, including document requirements and associated costs, visit the Base Zoning Change Guide and Process here.

Apply for a zone change on the city's Online Permit Portal here.

Special Use Permits

Special Use Permits, or SUP's, are granted to allow compatible development that may be suitable only in certain locations or under certain circumstances. It does not change the base zoning; it allows a particular use that would not normally be permitted in that zoning district. To find out more about requesting a Special Use overlay, required documentation for the application, and the submittal process, please review the Special Use Process and Guide.

Download the Special Use Permit Application

  1. Types of SUP's
  2. Process
  3. Temporary Outdoor Dining Permit

Types of SUPs

Type 1 SUPs address use of the land only. Construction within a Type 1 SUP will meet all of the development standards of the zoning ordinance.

Type 2 SUPs are considered based on a specific site plan and may approve deviations to zoning ordinance standards such as parking, landscaping, building height, etc.


  1. ZBA Variances
  2. AMBA Variances
  3. Filing Fees
  4. Special Exceptions

Zoning Board of Adjustment Variances

Variances to standards of the Zoning Ordinance may be granted by the Zoning Board of Adjustment under the following conditions:

  • There are special conditions affecting the land such that the strict application of the ordinance would deprive the applicant of the reasonable use of land.
  • The variance is necessary for the preservation and enjoyment of a substantial property right.
  • Granting the variance will not be detrimental to the public health, safety or welfare, or injurious to other property within the area.
  • Granting the variance will not prevent the orderly use of other land within the area.
  • An undue hardship exists.
  • Granting the variance will be in harmony with the spirit and purpose of the ordinance.
  • A variance may not be granted to relieve a self-created or personal hardship, and may not be based solely upon economic gain or loss.

To learn more about the variance processes, please refer to the Variance Guide found here.

Apply Here:  Zoning Variance Application

Code Interpretations