The National Weather Service continues to predict heavy rains across much of South Central Texas, beginning this evening and lasting into Sunday, with the possibility of flash flooding. A Flash Flood Watch has been issued for the entire region including the City of New Braunfels until 8pm Saturday, May 13th. Forecasters predict a widespread 3 to 6 inches of rain along and west of the I-35 corridor, with higher rain totals possible, which could lead to river flooding. City of New Braunfels staff is closely monitoring weather conditions and is prepared to open the Emergency Operations Center. The City’s outdoor early warning sirens were tested last week, are fully operational and reliable, and will be used should river flooding or other imminent weather conditions occur.
City Facilities & Services
- The City’s Recycle Center on Butcher Street will be closed on Saturday. Residential Solid Waste & Recycling services do not typically occur on weekends, but commercial services will continue as usual unless driving conditions become hazardous.
- Access to the Comal River and the City Tube Chute are preemptively being closed beginning at 7pm Friday in order to allow a safe timeframe for staff to remove the railings on the Tube Chute Dam before heavy rains begin. Should the river flow rise enough to go over the dam, all recreation on the Comal River would be temporarily closed until river conditions return to normal.
Roads and Low Water Crossing Preparations
- City street crews continue to pre-stage barricades at low water crossings and other areas that are prone to street flooding.
- Should road closures become necessary, residents can find updated local road closure information on the City of New Braunfels website. Drivers should NEVER drive around barricades or through standing water on roads. TURN AROUND, DON’T DROWN.
City Meetings & Events
The following City-sponsored events have been canceled or postponed:
- Fri. 5/12: Date Night on Landa Lake - CANCELED
- Sat. 5/13: Household Hazardous Waste Collection – POSTPONED
- Sat. 5/13: Kops & Kids Safety Picnic – POSTPONED
- Sat. 5/13: District 2 Council Connect - CANCELED
New Braunfels City staff will continue to monitor updates from the National Weather Service and any additional announcements about City facilities or services will be posted on the City’s website at www.newbraunfels.gov and on the City’s social media accounts including Facebook, Instagram, and NextDoor.